Of course there is a long way to go, but we’ve gathered 8 reasons to be optimistic about renewable energy in the UK.
- A single wind turbine can generate enough electricity to make 230 million cups of tea.
- Renewable energy sources produce nearly a third of all UK electricity.
- 25% of the UK’s population live in areas suitable for geothermal district heating using heat pumps.
- Renewable energy creates 5 times more jobs than fossil fuels.
- In April 2018 Britain went 55 hours without using coal power at all – for the first time in 136 years.
- More UK electricity was produced by wind and solar sources in 2017 than by nuclear power stations.
- In 2018 4,500 new electric car registrations are made per month.
- The UK network of electric car charging points has increased from a few hundred in 2011 to more than 16,700 in June 2018.